Friday, May 21, 2010

Question on my floral picotte dianthus plants...?

I planted 5 small dianthus plants in a long windowbox container about 2-3 weeks ago, and they have been doing pretty well, at least I thought. I noticed tonight while I was looking at them that about half of the blooms have shriveled up and gotten crunchy. I only see one new bloom about to spring up on one plant, the others are just green foliage (that foliage looks healthy) and the original blooms. There are a few leaves that have yellowish-greenish patches on them. I live in WI, and it was kind of cold when I planted them, so they might have frozen a bit.





Here's my questions:


1) I have deadheaded those spent blooms, just wondering if I should remove the damaged leaves on the plants too?


2) Does this all seem normal for dianthus? Otherwise, any suggestions about what might be causing this?


3) Will these dianthus bloom again soon?





I'm new to gardening, so I have minimal knowledge about these sorts of things. Any help is appreciated.

Question on my floral picotte dianthus plants...?
they should bloom again soon... sometimes my dianthsis do that also.. as long as the leaves stay green you should be ok.. i would pick off the yellow leaves though... i have one right now with 4 blooms on it.. and one with none.... as long as it doesnt frost up there again i would say they should be fine... i live in Illinois.. good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment